Incoming ©Wilhelmine Wulff von

You have decided to study in Germany? That's very nice, we shout you a warm "Welcome!".

To make it a little easier for you to start your studies, we have put together a few topics that might be of interest to you...

Studying in Freiberg and Mittweida

Everything you need to know about studying in Freiberg or Mittweida can be found on the homepages of your future university.

The International Centre "Alexander von Humboldt" in Freiberg (short: IUZ) or the International Office in Mittweida (short: AAA) have collected all the important information you need before and during your studies.

Housing at the Studentenwerk

The Studentenwerk operates about 1.000 apartments in Freiberg and about 500 in Mittweida. If you would like to find your new home in one of our halls of residence, you should apply early.

Everything you need to know about living at the Studentenwerk can be found on our homepage.


As a foreign citizen you need to register your apartment/yourself at the registration office in germany within two weeks. ID or passport as well as the rental contract need to be shown.

The same deadline also applies for the deregistration of your apartment, i.e. if you change your apartment within Germany or go back to your home country.

All information can be obtained from the citizens' offices of Freiberg and Mittweida.

BAföG for foreign students

It is not the rule that foreign students are entitled to BAföG - the German variant of student finance. However, there are exceptions.

If you are unsure whether you are entitled to this type of funding, please contact our colleagues at the BAföG office for advice.

Healthcare overview

The health dictionary provides a brief overview and an explanation of the most important terms in connection with health insurance and visits to doctors. The Health Signpost contains detailed information on the Freiberg-based physicians and their respective specialist fields.