Frequently asked questions

Who can apply for a student hall of residence?

You can look up our conditions in the General Conditions for Residence Halls of Freiberg Student Service. Enrolled students (inclusive preparation courses) of the educational institutions Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg and Hochschule Mittweida are authorized to live in one of the student halls of residence of the Studentenwerk Freiberg.

In case of sufficient vacant residential places a time limited rental is also allowed to other persons.

When and how can I apply for a student hall of residence?

Please use the website and fill in the “online application”. For the application you do not need the certificate of enrolment, but when you get your rental agreement you have to hand in the certificate of enrolment.


If you fill in the online application early, you have a bigger chance to get one of the apartments and we can fulfil your wishes in a better way.

Which are the conditions to get a place in one of the halls of residence?

The allocation follows our General Conditions for Residence Halls of Freiberg Student Service. We prioritise them in the order of arrival at the Studentenwerk Freiberg and other priorities you can see in the following enumeration:

  • foreign beginners of study who are disadvantaged on the open housing market
  • disabled and chronically ill students for whom the accommodation at the Studentenwerk Freiberg would mean a relief of their situation
  • students in an extraordinary difficult personal situation
  • students with a child
  • students, especially beginners in their first study, who are not able to reach their hometown by public transport

When and how get I informed about the housing assignment?

First of all you will get an acknowledgement receipt.

About 1-3 months before the semester starts you get an offer for an apartment in one of our student halls of residence. For choosing the tenants, we follow the date of entrance of your application and some special rules. You can look up these rules in the General Conditions for Residence Halls of Freiberg Student Service. If you don't have any further information till 1 month before the semester starts, please inform us if you are still interested in living in one of our halls of residence.

Which furniture is in the apartment?

All apartments are furnished and equipped with bed, dresser, desk, bookshelf and a chair. In the kitchen you can find a fridge and a cooker.

The following things are not included:

  • bedding (Pillow, Blanket) – you can buy this items at the Studentenwerk Freiberg, look up the prices at the Scales of Charge
  • pots and dishes
  • electrical kitchen devices such as a microwave, kettle, coffee machine

 Please contact your responsible person, they will find a solution.

What is included in the rental payment?

Everything is included in the rent, like power, heating, TV, and all other additional costs. The prices for the apartments vary because of the different types of houses, room size and other circumstances.

Have a look at our Scales of Charges. We do not charge any extra costs for the additional costs. If there will be a rising of the rental payment than it will be for adjustments, driven by external circumstances.

What is reasonable for paying a security deposit?

The security deposit is a safety payment. We will use this money if your room has any defects or is damaged, after you moved out. (Fee regulation)

If there are no damages, caused be you, when you move out, than you will get the money back.

Can I have a look at one/my room before moving in?

The rental agreements always end at the end of a semester and the new ones start at the beginning of a semester. So there is no time gap available to have a look at a room. 

But just have a look at our website there you can find detailed views of all our rooms. We tried to give you all necessary information in this topic. If there are any questions left, please contact us.

Can I park my car near the housing area?

In general there are enough parking spots near the housing areas.

The Studentenwerk Freiberg has also different parking spots for rent available. They are secured and you have to pay a little fee for them. Please notice that there are different numbers of parking spots and different types available depending on the housing area.

Please look up our prices for parking spots at the Scales of Charges.

When can I complete my rental contract?

When you get the confirmation and you have paid the security deposit, we will send you your rental agreement via Email. Now you just have to

  • Sign the contract
  • Give us your certificate of enrolement and
  • Give us your correspondent bank including the acceptance for the SEPA Direct Debit

Please send all this filled and signed forms to us. After we checked all the details you will get a signed contract back.

There is the possibility to bring all the forms directly to us to sign the contract.

How long is the contract to be limited?

We limited the contracttime for our houses for the prescribed period of study, but at least for one semester (if the rent time is shorter than one year, we will charge an extra fee).

Extensions are possible in certain cases, detailed information you can find in the General Conditions for Residence Halls of Freiberg Student Service.

You have to hand in an application for extension of your rental agreement in time (3 month before your rental agreement ends).

What have I to do, if I do not need the apartment anymore?

If you don't need your reserved apartment, than give us a short information, so we can give the room to someone else.

When can I move in? Can I get the keys some days earlier?

The earliest day to move in is the date of signing the rental agreement.

We cannot give you your keys earlier, because the tenant that lives in your apartment often moves out only one day before you move in. Reasonable for this aspect is the way our rental agreements are created (starting at the beginning of a semester and ending with the end of the semester).

How and where can I get an internet and/or telephone connection?

You can find a telephone and internet connection in every room. You will get internet provided for free. If you want to have Pay-TV or a private telephone connection (not just your mobile phone) or an external internet connection, than you can visit the privat market. Please notice the Contribution Regarding Broadcast Services. You have to take care for this on your own.

How can I react if I do not like the apartment I got?

One month after moving in the apartment you can fill in an application for moving/switching to another room. We try to find a solution that suits you and is manageable for us.

Am I allowed to sublet my apartment?

Tenants which are not in Freiberg/Mittweida for an internship a certain term, are allowed to sublet their apartment to another student. The sublet is in maximum possible for one semester. When you sublet your room you don't need to terminate your apartment, so you will have a place to live when you are back from your internship and you will save the money for your rent.

Please notice: It is important that the person you sublet your apartment needs to be a student as well and must show us his or her certificate of enrollment.

It is important to know that the rental payment will be debited from your account (the account of the main tenant) and you have to make an extra agreement with your subtenant how he or she pays the rental payment to you.

Do I have to pay the “Rundfunkbeitrag” (Regarding Broadcast Services) in the housing complexes?

Yes, you have to! Please do not ignore this letters.

In Germany each domestic home has to pay for that. People, that get “BAföG” have the possibility to avoid the payment, all the other students have to pay.

Further information you can find here.

What is Governement Reporting?

You have to visit the "Bürgerbüro". Please do that during 2 weeks, it doesn't cost anything.

And please also look into your letterboxes!